Thursday, August 29, 2013
Weeks before I moved in to my new place in Telok Blangah, I received this package in the office. The package was from my friend Lynne, who happens to be the owner of this all organic online shop Greendottz. The package was filled with soap bars, ointment and even a deodorant for me to try on.
|Photo credit: Greendottz|
|Photo credit: Greendottz|
Packaging actually depends on the volume of the orders. It can go for as small as an air mail envelope to this Singpost box. If you happen to order in bulk, personal delivery is available.
Since moving in to a new place is a lot of work, I have decided to use Greendottz products after I moved in. Sadly though, after I moved in I had a dengue scare, which made me sick for a week. Thankfully, it's just tonsillitis.
Anyway, it's been more than a month since I have used various products of Greendottz. Here are some of those products and what I can say about them.
Healing Bar - Tea Tree Rosemary & Juniper (S$10.90)
This is actually my favorite from the Greendottz pack. Aside from my face, I used it for my body. If you have blemishes or pimples, you will notice that it will clear. Thanks to the anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties of tea tree oil!
If you're not a fan of the tea tree scent, this natural soap bar isn't overpowering at all. The Healing bar smells like fresh pine with a touch of tea tree. Anyway, I love the tea tree scent.
The Healing bar contains olive oil, coconut oil, palm oil, Shea butter, tea tree oil, rosemary essential oil and juniper tea.
Kalliste Tea Tree & Black Facial Clay (S$10.90)
On first look of this black facial bar, I actually got intimidated and scared. I tried it and I didn't like the reaction to my face. I had a few breakouts so I stopped after using it for a week. I also didn't like that the soap turns into a gooey form once it gets wet. I suggest that you cut the soap into pieces to make most of the product.
I have to say though that our skin reacts to products differently. I suggest that you do a skin test.
Tea Tree & Black Facial Clay is made of natural olive oil, coconut oil, rapeseed and tea tree essential oil. This product is certified vegan by PETA!
Bay Rum Breeze (S$10.90)
Another favorite product of mine from Greendottz. Honestly, I thought that it has rum on it and I was intrigued to use it. Apparently, it was bay rum essential oil. Bay Rum Breeze has this strong masculine scent that men will love.
This product contains olive oil, coconut oil, palm oil, Shea butter and bay rum essential oil.
Mineral Deodorant Stone (S$8.90)
This is one of the interesting products of Greendottz. If you are from the Philippines, you would compare it to the local product called "tawas." Well, it's actually different. The product is not only compact type compared to the powdered "tawas" but this mineral stone is actually aluminum free. If you have heard of the recent study about commercial deodorants, it actually contain aluminum, which causes breast cancer. So this would be a great alternative!
I honestly tried the mineral stone twice and I find it not convenient to use. I'm still a deodorant stick kind of guy. You just really have to get used to it and have time to dry your underarms once done applying.
To those who are interested to know how to use it, you need to damp a water to the stone. In a circular motion, rub the stone with your fingers then apply to your underarms and feet.
This product actually works without the stain from your clothes. Down side is the labor of applying it and there's no anti-perspirant property to it.
The mineral stone contains natural mineral salts of zinc magnesium, potassium sulphate, manganese.
Pain Relief Balm (S$14.90)
|Photo credit: Greendottz|
I used this when I had a stiff neck and it helped my condition. I have to say that it is really warm to the skin, which I like a lot. The scent mixture of virgin coconut oil, ginger and peppermint is actually calming. I love how it smells compare to the commercial products which smells menthol and old.
Pain Relief Balm is made of virgin coconut oil, beeswax, peppermint oil, mentha avensis and ginger oil. This balm is proudly made in the Philippines!
PRODUCTS TO LOOK OUT
For the ladies, I am recommending the Greendottz lip scrub, which has two flavors: pina colada and watermelon. It is now on offer for only S$8.80!
|Photo credit: Greendottz|
GREENDOTTZ THE GREEN SHOP
Greendottz, The Green Shop is based in Singapore and was officially registered on February 2013. My friend Lynne Solomon actually started this as a home-based business with only her family and friends as customers. From her home-based business way back September 2011, Greendottz is now an online store selling products free from harmful chemicals, all natural, clean and green!
Percentage of sales of Greendottz actually goes to Empowering Lives Asia, which works toward sponsorship of disadvantaged children in Indonesia, Cambodia and the Philippines. Fund sponsorship gives these kids the opportunity to go to school, access basic health care and continuity of basic meals.
You may follow Greendottz on Facebook and Instagram for updates and regular promotions or you email them at email@example.com.
GREAT DEAL FROM GREENDOTTZ
Greendottz is giving away a FREE Pina Colada Luscious Lip Scrub worth S$10.90 for orders above S$40 for my dear readers. Just leave the code MAKOYSKIE.COM at the note section during check out time. This deal is valid from August 29th till September 30, 2013.
Thursday, August 29, 2013 by Makoy · 0
Wednesday, August 21, 2013
|Photo credit: ABS-CBN/AFP|
As of the moment, a total of 1,500 affected indivisuals were provided ready-to-eat hot meals. However, it is not enough to meet the needs of more than 20,000 families. I am urging everyone to donate directly to the Philippine Red Cross to immediately address the needs in the affected areas and in the evacuation centers.
Cash or Check Donations
Account Name: Philippine Red Cross
Type of Account: Savings
Banco De Oro (SWIFT CODE: BNORPHMM)
Metrobank (SWIFT CODE: MBTCPHMM)
Philippine National Bank (SWIFT CODE: PNBMPHMM)
Peso: 3752 8350 0034
Dollar: 3752 8350 0042
Unionbank of the Philippines (SWIFT CODE: UBPHPHMM)
Peso: 1015 4000 0201
Dollar: 1315 4000 0090
You can donate the following denominations:
Globe: 5, 25, 100, 300, 500 or 1000
Smart: 10, 25, 50, 100, 300, 500 or 1000
Cebuana Lhuillier Pawnshops
Make a donation at any of the 1,500 Cebuana Lhuillier pawnshops nationwide.
Other Online Donation (PayPal, Ushare, GreenPeso, Multiply, PayDollar)
Visit PRC Donation Page (http://www.redcross.org.ph/donatenow)
Wednesday, August 21, 2013 by Makoy · 0
Monday, August 19, 2013
|Photo credit: bhdentists.com|
Anyway, after the cleaning and re-filling, I was embarassed that my dentist had to tell me to brush my teeth and to floss. As if I don't brush three times! I have to admit though that I'm very lazy to floss even I have it somewhere in my room. I have to listen to the dentist though and resume with at least once a day flossing. So if you are still hesitant to floss, here are some of the great benefits of flossing.
1) Helps in losing weight. This is actually a shock to mes. To achieve this, you have to floss after meals. This is actually a mental trick that if you do it after a meal you wouldn't want to lose the squeaky clean feel on your teeth.
2) Prevents cavities and protects your gums. If you floss regularly, the bacteria and food particles stuck in between your teeth will be removed. Removing the bacteria prevents the cavities and plaque to form tartar. Tartar build up leads to gingivitis, which will make your gums red and swollen.
3) Extends life and prevents other diseases. Flossing with regular brushing actually results in great cardiovascular health. There is also a decrease chance of having a stroke. Regular flossing actually removes bacteria and infection from our teeth before they can be passed through our respiratory system. Study from the American Geriatrics Society says that it prevents dementia. Heart disease and diabetes can be prevented as well.
4) Eliminates bad breath. Bad breath actually indicates bacteria growth in our teeth or a possible gum disease. If you floss and you're bleeding, you might have a gum disease like gingivitis. No bacteria and healthy gums equate to no bad breath.
5) Whitens your teeth. Another shocking benefit of flossing! If you do the correct way of flossing, potential stains and plaque build up will be removed.
6) Saves you money. If you floss, it will prevent gum disease and cavities. You will only need to see the dentist for regular cleaning without the costly filling, treatment or even surgery.
So who's with me to do daily flossing?
Monday, August 19, 2013 by Makoy · 0
Friday, July 19, 2013
|Photo credit: bloomberg.com|
How do we juggle everyday expenditure and our future needs? Where do we turn to facilitate our approach to be more financially secured? The following are just 2 examples the banks have on offer for consumers to utilise en route to that goal.
Having a savings account is the first step towards managing your finances. A basic deposit account is the most common and allows you to keep track with statements. With the advent of internet banking, this is available for easy viewing real time.
Each bank has their own unique products and services designed to their clients’ taste. Starting off with a minimum deposit amount or through salary credits, transactions are easily accessible at the branch, automated teller machines (ATMs) or online.
As your assets are liquid in nature, there is no restriction to access the funds. Do note however, there may be a limit to monthly transactions and/or may incur a fee. Deposits placed in savings account accrues interest which varies between accounts and banks.
Fixed Rate Bonds
Unlike savings account, if you have considered fixed rated bonds, it requires you to invest a lump sum for a specific period with no access until maturity. This would be recommended when you already have a considerable sum and wish to maximise your savings.
By locking your cash reserves, you stand to accrue a higher interest rate than those offered in savings/checking/deposit account. No additional deposit or withdrawal is allowed once this has taken into effect.
Upon maturity, you may have the option to:
1. withdraw the full sum
2. renew for the same tenure
3. continue accruing interest at a lower rate.
The interest rates offered are usually higher for larger amounts and longer tenure.
Whether you have a savings account or considered fixed rate bonds, the best way for me to save money is to live within your budget and within your means. It would be wise to ask yourself when buying things if it's a want or a need.
Friday, July 19, 2013 by Makoy · 0
Thursday, July 11, 2013
|Photo credit: pinoy-ofw.com|
The Philippine Embassy in Singapore early 2013 launched the appointment system for OEC following the success of their appointment system for Passport Renewal. Gone were the days were an OFW would have to reach the embassy very early to get a queue number and wait for more than half a day to get an OEC.
So before rushing to the embassy, make sure to do the following:
1) Prepare the requirements as follows:
a) Original passport (valid six months from date of departure)
b) work permit
c) roundtrip ticket*
d) OWWA membership S$42
e) employment contract*
f) Philhealth contribution receipt*
g) PAGIBIG contribution receipt
2) If you have all the requirements above, you can proceed in booking an appointment to this link (http://bmappointment.poea.gov.ph/singapore-appointments/index.php). The appointment website only works in Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. Click the Set an Appointment button and proceed by entering your desired schedule and your particulars. Click the Submit/Print Information Sheet button afterwards and make sure to print it as PDF incase you need to re-print your OFW Information Sheet form. Once you have submitted, there is no option to search your booking to re-print. Print 3 copies of the OFW Information Sheet. Your schedule will be printed in the form itself (upper right side).
3) If you need to change your booking appointment, there is currently no facility to change your existing booking. You can only do so by canceling your existing appointment and re-do the same procedure all over again. To cancel an appointment, you need to provide your last name, first name, birth date and passport number. Once you have cancelled your appointment, you may proceed in creating a new appointment.
4) On your appointment day, I suggest that you come at least 10 minutes early. Present your OFW Information Sheet to the guard and he will instruct you to proceed to Window 2. At window 2, show the same document and the embassy staff will give you a queue number for your designated schedule.
5) Your queue number will be called on Window 3 or 4. Submit your requirements listed above. If your OWWA is not yet updated, you may need to pay $42. Same as well if you don't have contributed to PAG-IBIG, you may need to pay S$5.50 per month. If you need more than 1 OEC, inform the embassy staff at that window.
6) Wait for your name to be called at Window 5, an OEC costs $3 (previously $5.50). Pay based on the number of requested OECs and the staff will hand over your passport and OECs.
Based on my experience last Tuesday, it took me one hour including waiting time. It would be faster in my opinion if there is one designated window for all queries. I have noticed that there are a lot cutting queue just to ask questions. Same experience when I renewed my passport. I suggest that the embassy should open an information desk so for those who have queries will be entertained. That would speed up the process a bit.
*Requirements are sometimes required. Just bring in case they are asking for it.
Thursday, July 11, 2013 by Makoy · 1
Monday, June 17, 2013
Last Saturday, my friends and I went to the Singapore Botanic Gardens. It was a hot Saturday afternoon and I was so drenched with sweat. When we spotted the Swan Lake, we couldn't find any swans aside from the big swan structure in the middle of the lake.
Luckily, at the right side of the lake we spotted 2 swans, a school of koi and cute turtles. One swan caught our attention and it was actually taking a bath. Not sure actually if it was having a meal or taking a bath.
Monday, June 17, 2013 by Makoy · 3
Sunday, June 16, 2013
If you happen to be a Game of Thrones fan like me, you would enjoy this Season 2 episode recap made by Funny or Die. Guess who was referred to Little Munchkin and Christina Aguilera. Warning though that if you haven't watched the other episodes to better skip it first.
Sunday, June 16, 2013 by Makoy · 3
Thursday, June 13, 2013
Last week's number one movie "Fast & Furious 6" slipped to the number two spot while my favorite movie of the week "Now You See Me" is down one spot to number three. Completing the top five movies of the week are "The Intership" and "Epic" at number four and five.
Here are the top 30 movies for the week ending June 9, 2013.
1. The Purge
2. Fast & Furious 6
3. Now You See Me
4. The Internship
6. Star Trek Into Darkness
7. After Earth
8. The Hangover Part III
9. Iron Man 3
10. The Great Gatsby (2013)
12. Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani
13. The Croods
14. Frances Ha
15. Before Midnight
16. Oz The Great and Powerful
19. The East
20. The Kings of Summer
21. Love is All You Need
22. Olympus Has Fallen
23. G.I. Joe: Retaliation
24. Much Ado About Nothing (2013)
25. What Maisie Knew
26. Stories We Tell
28. Escape From Planet Earth
29. Pain and Gain
30. Evil Dead (2013)
Thursday, June 13, 2013 by Makoy · 10
Wednesday, June 12, 2013
Minutes ago, I was able to watch this 11-minute clip showing the horrendous acts inflicted to poultry animals. It's just a sad reality that this is happening and consumers are really unaware. I have to warn you though that the video that you're about to watch is very graphic.
Wednesday, June 12, 2013 by Makoy · 11